SAROA’s position on arrangements for hot weather

We have received comments about safety concerns regarding recent hot weather and  the viability of race meetings on days of extreme heat. Although the conditions can be very trying SAROA is confident that TRSA and the Stewards are fully aware of the implications for Equine Welfare and will make any decision based on the best interests of horses and jockeys.

In relation to the recently postponed Morphettville twilight meeting TRSA advised as follows: TRSA and the SAJC In conjunction with industry experts will continue to monitor the situation and will not proceed should the forecast deteriorate. We consider the welfare of horses and participants as paramount and will not compromise their safety if the conditions are not suitable.

In addition TRSA has a detailed hot weather policy

which will be followed.

It is our belief that we should allow TRSA to continue to monitor the weather forecasts and make a considered decision on any heat affected meeting. If however owners or trainers have individual concerns they are of course entitled to scratch their horses.